TSK

I have wanted this blog to be not only informative, but also interesting to read, and even amusing. As anyone who knows me will attest, I love to make people laugh, I love to tell stories and jokes and make people smile. When Tom reads the blog posts, I love hearing him laugh at the various things I have written.

But in doing that, I fear I may have glossed over some of my other plans for this blog. I do want this to be a real view of my trip through Chemoworld, and to give readers insights as to what it is truly like. I want this to be an honest view of this experience, and in looking back over some of the posts, I may have sugarcoated some of it. That is actually okay - I think most people understand that chemo is not a laugh riot, so they don't really expect it to be a walk in the park.

But I do want to talk about some of the real issues that come up as a person getting very intense chemo and dealing with what is ultimately a very scary diagnosis.

So TSK is today's acronym for the three parts of my travels that I want to describe.

Terror

No blog on cancer could possibly gloss over the intense feelings of fear and terror that come over someone going through this. I have a lot of faith in my doctors. Kaiser has been incredible, and I feel very well taken care of.

But that does little for the overwhelming feelings of fear that wash over me pretty much daily. I have been able to step into the experience and let it happen to me,but it doesn't mean I'm not afraid. 

It's not always rational. I fall asleep on the couch and wake up with a pain in my chest. Of course, it's because I have slumped over on my side and slept in an awkward position - but does that EVER occur to me? My immediate reaction is "new tumor." I take a bunch of pills and occasionally will choke a bit on some (I tend to take pills by the handful). When that happens, it never occurs to me to think "tired of taking pills." Nope, it's always "losing the ability to swallow." 

And some of i,unfortunately, IS rational. I have Stage Four esophageal cancer. That is a scary diagnosis. Sometimes I wake up (these days, everything happens when I wake up) and I get a moment of panic - how is this survivable? I worry about the results of the CT scan that will happen in May. Tom is great about being reassuring, and is always pointing out the ways he sees improvement, not only to my reaction to chemo but also in how the pain of what was inside me is largely gone. He believes this is working. Mostly, I do too - but I have my moments.

Suffering

Of course, the terror is augmented by the suffering, and I have to admit that I have done plenty of that as well. Pain management has come a very long way, but there are still a lot of things that hurt. I had a pretty severe bout of constipation - not like a one day "oh, feeling kind of blocked" but gut tearing searing pain. Pain in parts of my body where I would just rather not have pain.

Having to even think about some of the functions of my body just isn't any fun, but having the feeling of intense pain in those areas is really horrible.  Having my hearing blocked while dealing with other blockage and discomfort - it just ain't much fun. Seriously. Don't try this at home.

Kindness

And on top of it all, there is incredible kindness. I am still firmly swaddled in the love of my friends and my family. Tom of course has been amazing, but my family has also rallied around. My sisters Ann and Peggy have taken it as a personal challenge to get my weight up, ad they have been thinking of various things to tempt me to eat. My brother Mark and sister Stephanie have been in close touch, sending jokes and making comments and basically being there for me. 

And my friends have rallied around in ways I never could have expected. Everyone - EVERYONE - wants to bring food, and I've had to beg off numerous times. A problem here is that I'm not supposed to eat any food that has been in the fridge for more than two days - evidently, there is some kind of low grade mold or something that grows on food after 48 hours, and although most people have no issue with it, those of us with chemo compromised immune systems are at risk. So it's sometimes hard to tell well-meaning people "Please don't bring food."

Some of the food that has been brought has been incredible. Claudio and Alessandra, our next door neighbors, have been making me an incredible soup that seems to be one thing I can consistently eat. 

The cards, letters, postcards have been incredible. Jen M-P has sent these amazing postcards that have video attached, so I can hear her telling me why she chose each card - really fun to watch. Sally, Johno and Sarah have all been vying to see who could send the most postcards. Believe it or not, this helps enormously. My days are incredibly dull - mostly dozing, watching movies I have already seen, reading. The arrival of the mail has become a big event in my life. 

Kindness, unlike terror and suffering, is not hard to take. But the kindness surrounds me in the same way, in that it feels like it is totally covering me. It's a good feeling, but it is one I'm not that used to having, particularly on a daily/hourly basis. 

Well, my energy is gone, so I better close. That is today's snapshot of Chemoworld. More vacation photos to come.




Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing about T, S, and K. For me the blog has already been what you envisioned: "a real view of my trip through Chemoworld," and the humor seems to be an important part of that, because it is part of you. Love to you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very real, raw and I am hoping hoping as time goes on things get a bit easier on you. I learn so much every time I open your blog, another layer is peeled back. Thank you. Bottom of my heart thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting? Check.
    Amusing? Double check. Nah, make that a triple.
    This shite is real rating? 1000 on a scale of 1-100.

    I’d say you’re killin’ this blog thang, dear Chi Chi. Blog on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hate the T and the S!! Remember in "The First Family" album, how Jacques designs this fabulous one-of-a-kind dress called "The First Lady" for Jackie Kennedy and she says she doesn't like the top button. So, after she leaves, Jacques drops the French accent and yells to the back room, "Mrs. G!! Rip the top button off those 5000 First Ladies and put 'em on a rack!!"?
    I want to tell Mrs. G to rip the "T"s and the "S"s off of this dance with cancer and put 5000 "K"s on a rack.

    I've always been interested in the art of the "tsk". Found this on the interwebs:
    :In English, the tut-tut! (British spelling, "tutting") or tsk! tsk! (American spelling, "tsking") sound used to express disapproval or pity is a dental click, although, in this context, it is not a phoneme (a sound that distinguishes words) but a paralinguistic speech-sound."

    I also found that it has a long history traced back through various language families where it often carries a negative connotation:
    "It could even be that "tsk" shares a common ancestor with the clicks (including the "tsk" dental click) which are found in African languages such as Zulu, Xhosa, and Khoisan languages

    So, while I'll never aim my paralinguistic dental click at you, I will tsk my butt off at the terror and suffering. I'll try to send some kindness if I can find some. This song always makes me feel better. I hope it does you too
    xx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsY8l0Jg3lY

    ReplyDelete
  7. So of course I thought I was going to get automatic notifications about new blog posts, just by being a follower! I mean, what ever happened to RSS? Anyway, sorry to be late for the party/seminar/healing circle. D, you have really brought forth a lot of meaning here. I see you quite clearly through the T, S, and K lenses. (The name for that outrageously complicated, 80-pounds-on-an-overhead-crane optometric device for comparing lenses has the great sci-fi name of 'phoropter' (well, it's no interociter.), which should be spelt (that's right, and I'll shout it from the rooves) '4opter', because it's what turns you into a '4-eyes'. And where are the Rio Mardi Gras masks based on it, with added feathers and glitter?

    But I digress. D, the T and S are too painful to read, really. It's not something I can easily associate with you, because in my mind you are flying high with energy and engagement, yet somehow exceedingly stable. This medical interruption is off-key, incompatible with the mock suffering you so wittily perform.

    What happens when the actor portraying someone with memory loss forgets his lines?

    So I'm on your side, hoping this is just an interruption, a rude phone left on in the theatre, whose ringtone is the theme from 'Ben Casey' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1pB9ti5kGI). We, your loving 'audience' (more than observers! and each believes he has a special connection!), frown at the cringing offender, now fumbling for his mute button.

    Or maybe it's a performance of that Ziegfield update, 'Cancer Dancers of 2021'!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog