Chemo Number Three

[SPOILER ALERT: Some readers may find one of the pictures in this post upsetting. If you don't want to see what chemo has done to me, stop reading.]

I went in for Chemo Number Three today, and it started out as a real cluster fuck.

I had forgotten that I am supposed to get lab work done before each session - and since, up until yesterday, I had been feeling so badly, it just hadn't happened. So instead of going in at 8:30, I showed up at Kaiser at 8 AM to get a blood draw. The lab can process the results in about an hour, so we figured it would not screw up the timing too much. 

My back has been pretty sore, so after walking to the lab, we decided that I should use a push chair, and Tom could shove me around (like always.) 

We went up to the Infusion Center, and once the lab results came in, there was great consternation. My white blood cell count had jumped up alarmingly, and my bilirubin numbers were somewhat elevated as well. Because of the GI issues I have been having, I lost 9 pounds over the last three weeks, and because I was in the push chair, the nurses assumed that I was weak and frail. 

I have no sign of an infection, however - no elevated temperatures, nothing feeling screwed up. My kidney numbers were all fine, which is good news. 

So finally, after consulting with the pharmacist, my oncologist called me. She asked how I was doing, and I told her how much better I was feeling as of yesterday, and that I was fine with proceeding with the chemo. She said that the best indicator of what to do comes from me.

She and I had already decided to reduce the amount of Etoposide thjey were giving me (to drop the pills for the subsequent two days) but she decided that maybe the amount they were giving me as an infusion was too toxic for me as well. So, she made some adjustments in the amount (from 200 mg to 99 mg.) This felt like the right decision - particularly the fact that she didn't drop to 100, but went to 99. 99 and Hymie were my two favorite characters on "Get Smart", so I figured having Barbara Feldon on my side couldn't hurt.

When it all started happening, I admit to having a few minutes of terror - I told Tom, "Great, now they send me home to die." But my oncologist dispelled those thoughts, and told me not to get freaked out. She said, "This is part of the normal process - finding what different people can tolerate. We're finding it for you. Hang in there."

So we started the chemo.  

Getting an infusion is a pretty dull process, and the last two times, I have responded to it by sleeping. I must have slept two hours, bolstered by pillows feeling very out of it. The emotions of earlier clearly had taken a toll, and I was really tired.

At one point, the nurse gave me some pills to take, in one of those paper cups they dispense them in After taking the pills, I stuck the cup on my head. I guess the fact that most of my hair is gone really worked, because the cup stayed there for the rest of the time I was there. Tom suggested we take a picture, so I held up my left arm (where the IV was inserted) and tried to look like I was at least somewhat awake.

Okay, I get it: if you haven't seen me since I got sick, this looks kind of scary (even with the cup perched on my head.) I certainly am no Barbara Feldon in this picture! Believe it or not, despite having an IV in my arm, my back hurting, having lost of ton of weight and being chock full o' toxic chemicals, this is what "feeling good" looks like in my world today. The hair really is the most amazing ting: After all those years of having more hair than anyone, it's weird to be so close to bald. But I kind of like it, it's certainly easy to take care of!

So now we wait and see how I do. I think this is going to be easier - last time, I seem to recall that, by the time I got home, I felt like total crap. I really hope I can coast on through Chemo Three and a) feel relatively normal and b) et some good results in knocking back the cancer.

Stay tuned on both fronts.

Comments

  1. On the plus side, no one in the family will say you are too fat... Or that your hair is a mess. I hope this one is easy least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your oncologist said for all of us: "Hang in there."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about you today and realizing that a bunch of other folks were thinking about you as well, possibly at the same time. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agent 99 is a guardian angel at times like these.

    My father was almost completely blind and fell spectacularly down a flight of concrete stairs in front of my eyes. I thought he was finished and I was ready to join him after what I'd witnessed. I can't even write about it without shivering. We both made it. Cut to him, a desolate angel in a steel halo (a circular brace attached to his head with screws to stabilize his spine) in the hospital. A physical therapist walks in and introduces himself as Max. My father rouses himself from the depths of depression to say "Max? What happened to 99?" The laughter in the room, including Max's was the real therapy that day and the sound of my father deciding to stay with us for a while.

    Your warning at the beginning of this post about your picture made me stop reading and close the computer for several hours. I was sure I couldn't handle it. When I forced myself to look, I almost laughed in relief like I did that day after the "99" comment. You didn't warn us that you're as adorable as ever in your stylish Rockhead and Quarry tee and jaunty cap. There's nothing frightening in that picture. As hard as the chemo is slugging you, I believe that it's punching the cancer's lights out.

    Do what you do best. Keep your medical professionals in stitches. You'll get the best medicine in the house. Would you believe an extra pillow for your back? How about a lollipop? Sorry about that, Chief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that horrible day when Ben fell down the stiars. And yes, he got through it and went on, despite being 80. I'm glad the picture didn't seem horrible to you and that you are enjoying my blog. It's been therapeutic for me to write and I'm getting a lot of positive feedback on it. And I get to keep everyone informed as to what is going on without having to make 312 calls. Love you!

      Delete
  5. OK, you're a little balder and skinner (I've mastered the former, but never quite got a handle on the latter) -- but otherwise you look like your same old irascible, adorable, and winsome self. Too bad it's past egg nog season, that's us Gentile's sure-fire weight gainer.

    Loving the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know, my wife has been through a lot of chemo and illness, and I am always happy to see her - just as I feel happy to see you in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I the only person who think D looks like Max Headroom in that snapshot? It's uncanny! but not uncuppy. And it brings in another Max, so bonus points to anyone who can wedge Bialystok into the conversation.

    D, I think you look great, and you sound great, too. You're so high into the 99th percentile of people who are worth it that even 'debilitated', you raise our global average past the danger point where the aliens decide to destroy us. "Push the button, Frank!" "I would, but look at the capers and quips of those hominids!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog