Struggling

It has been a rough day.

I am not feeling all that badly, actually. I'm eating and though I don't think it's having an effect yet, it does feel good to eat.  And some wonderful things have happened - I got to sit outside yesterday with Julia, who has been an amazing support, and with Miriam, who has brought daffodils and sent encouraging texts and just been the same wonderful friend she has been for the last four plus decades.

Today, we had breakfast with Sabastian and Jamie - something we haven't done in a couple months. They sat at the bottom of the front stairs, where we set up a table and chairs, and we sat up on the glider with TV trays. It was wonderful, and felt very familiar. And so great to see the two of them, both so happy, talking about the wedding and their plans.

But it has been a hard day because I have felt so trapped. I spent most of the day in our bedroom, reclining on the bed, watching weird shit on TV and dealing with the weirdness that is my body. My ears are clogged up again, so I'm using the Miracle Mouthwash to deal with that. Having my ears clogged always freaks me out - I can't stand the feeling of being deaf and blind. 

Lounging on the bed, I can hear people driving and walking and biking past the house, talking, laughing, doing things. I remember what it was like to walk down the street and do errands and move around without a thought. Now I'm unable to do the things others are doing, and I have to admit: I'm feeling very sorry for myself. It makes me feel like this is all useless, that I am not going to beat back the cancer and that I'll soon be in hospice care. 

Struggling is a big part of this. I struggle to not fall into depression, to believe that all this is working and that I will recover some semblance of health. I am eating, and I struggle to believe I will gain weight, that it will make a difference.

But there are times when I can't bring myself to believe it - I find myself imaging my upcoming death struggle. It is not a pretty picture.

Sometimes the fear becomes overwhelming, and I feel incapacitated by it. I find myself wanting to run away - just jump out of bed and run down the block and leave cancer and morphine and clogged ears behind. But of course, I don't have the strength to do that, nor the ability. This is my world, and I am stuck with it. At these times, I feel like a "person with cancer." No, Jim Tobias is right: I feel like a "cancer victim." Sometimes I look at my hands and see them trembling and think, "what is going on? Neuropathy?  A new symptom? And then it hits me: it's my old buddy, fear. My constant traveling companion.

Finally, around 3 PM, I just couldn't take it anymore, and so I got Tom to take me out for a drive. We drove over to the storefront, and I got to see, first hand, the work that Luis has done to finish the shop for us.

The place looks amazing. It's small - about 600 sf - but has a galley kitchen, a nice backroom that can be a bedroom or an office, a closet with an operable window, a nice big front room that could either be living space or some kind of storefront or studio, and a large ADA bathroom. 


 As Luis finishes up the space, we are starting to think about who would rent it. Of course, Ricky is our obvious choice, but he doesn't seem ready to leave New York yet. So we're going to advertise it as a live/work space, as well as just a studio/one bedroom apartment. 

 

The amazing ting about all this was how much I walked. I went down the front stairs unassisted, walked to the car, and we drove to the shop. I walked around inside and got to see everything. It made me feel better: I know I'm not the one doing the finish work, but it's getting done, and I'm happy to see that all the work and sweat we put into saving that little building is finally coming to completion. 

 

So, I'm feeling a bit better. Getting out in the beautiful day, getting some fresh air, having the wind blow in my face as we drove - it was all exhilarating.

Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Good that this infusion was a dose of your own beautiful life. May it continue to carry and heal you. So much love to you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got out today, Dmitri. Being overwhelmed, future-tripping (as Chuck calls it), and feeling ill and/or in pain are horrible beasts to grapple with, and they often come at the same time. It's a beautiful day. I poked around in my garden admiring our magnificent ceanothus. Remember to to find a way to change the scenery, even if you need people to help you make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to get out. Thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry and so glad you got out. Lean back, take a drive and put your face into the wind like a dog and enjoy the wind on your face. It is a dog's gift that they can live in the moment. Try to stay where you are and just keep Eric Idol's "I'm not dead yet" as your montra. If anything, it will make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a side note, I love that bathtub. Is it a new tub or salvaged from somewhere?

      Delete
    2. it was originally in the Delaney House.

      Delete
    3. Was that the one next door to the Fulton Street house with the "cat room?"

      Delete
    4. No, that was the one on 62nd Street that we moved back and put the Cheney Cottage in front of.

      Delete
    5. Ah, gotcha. That would have been my second guess.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing the reality of how it actually feels to be inside your current struggles - the fears... the struggle not to succumb to them. One of the many hard things, I think, of chronic illness (for me) or of the kind of illness that you're dealing with (I would imagine), is feeling like life is going on outside the window and you're so cut off from it. It's a terrible feeling. So glad that you got out in the car and over to the storefront and were able to do all that walking on your own power. Here's to more drives that help you feel a little better. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stay well! I love you. Love forever, Bea 👑 👸🏻 🐝

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing it all Dmitri - the photos and the fear. I'm with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O man, I feel it. I don't know if I can say much more than that. I'm glad that you have your thoughts as well as your fears and sorrows. And best of all are your recognitions: knowing where you are and what might work for you. I'm so glad you have Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey dearie... Thank you for sharing all that this journey is taking you through. It's not for the weak hearted. So glad that you had that lovely visit with Sabastian and Jamie... sounds super sweet. You know that I am offering a CASH bonus to the matchmaker that finds my man... and then I will come over to discuss wedding plans AD NAUSEAUM! (is that spelled right??). The shop looks GREAT! So wish I could have fit myself into that space... it's like me wearing a 32" waistline... those days are long gone. Sending you BIG BIG LoVE... no casseroles... just the LoVE!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog